COVID-19 and Scuba Diving
COVID-19 shares many of the same symptoms as other serious viral pneumonias that require a period of convalesce before returning to full activities – a process that can take weeks or months depending on symptom severity (1)
MEDICAL RECOMMENDATIONS (2):
- Divers who have had symptomatic COVID-19, should wait a minimum of TWO months, preferable THREE, before resuming their diving activities.
- Divers who have tested positive with COVID-19 but have remained completely asymptomatic, should wait ONE month before resuming diving.
- Divers who have been hospitalized with pulmonary symptoms related to COVID-19, should, after a three-month waiting period, undergo complete pulmonary function testing as well as a cardiac evaluation with echocardiography and exercise test (exercise electrocardiography) to ascertain normal cardiac function prior to your return to diving.
- Divers and dive centers should observe strictly the guidelines for disinfection of diving gear (as issued by the diving federations and Divers Alert Network).
- Dive Kauai Scuba Center soaks all regulators and masks in a chemical bath of “Bacto” for 15 minutes, this was certified by CDC and FDA to kill virus and bacteria. All gear is then thoroughly washed with fresh water and hung to dry. Gear is ONLY being used ONCE each day for additional safety protocols to ensure all gear is properly cleaned and sanitized. (New Mouthpieces and Masks are available for purchase for those who want additional peace of mind)
DIVER MEDICAL | Participant Questionnaire
Required for ALL Non-Certified divers (Discover Scuba Dive & Certification Courses)
Recreational scuba diving and free diving requires good physical and mental health. There are a few medical conditions which can be hazardous while diving. Those who have, or are predisposed to, any of these conditions, should be evaluated by a physician. This Diver Medical Participant Questionnaire provides a basis to determine if you should seek out that evaluation. If you have any concerns about your diving fitness not represented on this form, consult with your physician before diving. If you are feeling ill, avoid diving. If you think you may have a contagious disease, protect yourself and others by NOT participating in dive training and/or dive activities. References to “Diving on this form encompass both recreational scuba diving and free diving. This form is principally designed as an initial medical screen for new divers, but is also appropriate for divers taking continuing education. For your safety, and that of others who may dive with you, please answer ALL questions honestly!
PLEASE NOTE: All Non-Certified Divers and Students of Certification Courses with Dive Kauai will be REQUIRED to complete this electronically on your booking confirmation. Should you feel you may need medical clearance for any of the questions on the form, please PRINT the form and submit to your physician to complete PRIOR to your dive.
To print out the DIVER MEDICAL | Participant Questionnaire, click here for the PDF format.
To print out the Diver Medical Guidance to the Physician, click here for the PDF format.